Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Scent of a Woman || Perfume by Priyanka

“Sugar, Spice & Everything Nice…” such goes the list of ingredients for a lovely girl. Ask anyone, even the hobo living in a cardboard box, everyone agrees: A Girl Always Smells Nice.
Nice? You mean like peaches & bergamot or lavender & honey?? I’m a girl and I demand an answer?!!
My favorite scent remains to be that of musty old books in the attic. Or of rain, just before it rains. Or of winter… when your breathe freezes fogging up your view of the sunset. Or like cheese oozing from a double burst pizza! Or like babies who have been squeaked clean and dressed up in pinks & blue, just perfect for a day in the park!!
But you never get these in a bottle in any store! Hmmm…
You know what all of it reminds me of? Home. My Mom.
Each time I return home for a few days, I pause for a moment before I enter. I fill up my lungs with the air outside, with all its smells… dust, grime, exhaust, litter… and then step in.
When I take in my next breath, it’s like being reborn…
They tell you about how when you hear a song that you once loved in the past and have it instantly bring you back to that moment in time? I think whenever I smell anything nice, I go back in time to this moment:
Entering my home again… right into the arms of my mom!
When you look around and notice how nothing has changed, everything looks the same, feels the same, even smells the same; you realize what’s changed, is you.
~The books, aging gracefully, even with the silverfish scurrying across… right as I’d left them in the box last year. The colorful pages which mom read out when I knew no difference between a and z
~The drops on my forehead as I run to cover, leaving mom drenching in the rain; struggling to save the achaar instead of herself
~The steaming cup of tea not helping keep my fingers warm enough, I snuggle next to mom as she keeps down her cup and hugs me
~The doorbell rings and it way before it’s been 30 mins, mom beats me to the door. The wide grin on her face as she opens the pizza make me wonder, “Who’s the kid here?” No one, or both of us?
~The Johnson’s Baby Soap mom still keep in my bathroom... willfully forgetting her daughter is older than she was when she bought the first bar for her first-born
That’s it according to me…. The ingredients of the perfect perfume for any woman:
Niceness inside-out.
Sweat, blood, tears, sleepless nights and aching muscles, slain dragons and dying dreams, birds leaving the nest or just stopping by for a moment… it all has to go in, without an ounce of dishonesty.
Love you mom!

5 comments:

Ion said...

now, here's something EVERYONE can relate to, i'm sure.... beats me how you can describe such intimate intangible stuff with such vivid imagery ... a ten on ten ...




and second time this has happened, after posting a comment it has disappeared :O

Priyanka said...

thanks :) being at home makes you write such stuff, somehow!

and your comments were just stuck in that epic router in your hostel :P
They made it through finally!

Ion said...

i cant wait to get home quick and drive my folks mad !!! and, hey! dont you dare mess with my alibi ( the router) now !

n loved it more the second time .. hope to see more such feel-good-posts :)

SusritaS said...

#the scent of the free ocean
#the drool when u smell chocolate hidden in your sisters pockets
#beetle leaf from ur gradma's palms
#the scent of love of a sleepless mother by your side when u lie sick
.... PRICELESS

SusritaS said...

Priyaka.. this is like none other... too good. u touched the strings of highest emotions..

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Macys Printable Coupons